One of the priorities when Skoda Fabia just came out, it was the preservation of affordable prices without compromising the quality of the car itself. This led the manufacturer to the need to save on equipping base machines with additional equipment. The Fabia is offered in four trim levels. In the base model Classic accent made for maximum functionality at a reasonable price. Therefore, from the equipment here there is only the most necessary minimum. Higher-level versions – Ambiente, Sport and Elegance – are equipped with almost the entire set of modern security and comfort systems.
All Fabia body panels are fitted to each other with minimal gaps in the best traditions of the German school, and thanks to the galvanization, the car perfectly resists corrosion. Rust can only be seen on cars poorly restored after an accident. The overall idyllic picture spoils a couple of little things. With intensive use of the back door, a play appears in the lock mechanism, which, however, is easily eliminated by a simple adjustment. Another trifle annoys much more – the rear window washer: either the supply pipe will come off, then the nozzle cap or the nozzle itself will be lost at the sink. But this is really nonsense. The tube can be secured with a clamp, and a cap with a nozzle costs a penny.
Electronics with electrics are quite reliable and simple, but there are minor breakdowns. The main complaints are about the door limit switches, but this is typical for almost all Volkswagen products. In winter, especially after washing, the “limit switches” often freeze up and the electronics inform that the door is open in the car. In the event of a breakdown of the “limit switches”, which is not uncommon, you will have to pay about 2,000 rubles for a new lock, because the part is only supplied as an assembly. Moreover, the work on their installation will cost about 1000 rubles.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Good choice of powertrains;
- economical motors;
- Pleasant appearance with a sporty bias;
- There is LED lighting;
- Body quality;
- Small dimensions;
- In the latest generation, the quality of interior finishing materials has grown;
- 5-inch multimedia system display;
- High level of security;
- Wide choice of optional equipment;
- Pretty good value;
- Good suspension, fulfilling our roads;
- DSG on top engines.
Cons of the car Small ground clearance; Inside is cramped, especially for a family with children; Small trunk; The power of the most initial motors is clearly not enough.
The “second” Skoda Fabia was equipped with three types of gearboxes. Initially, it was only a 5-speed manual and a time-tested Japanese 6-band classic Aisin Warner TF-61SN automatic with a torque converter. After restyling, along with the new 1.2 TSI and 1.4 TSI turbo engines, the model also received the infamous 7-speed DSG DQ200 robot with two dry clutches, which is notorious among VAG car owners. The most reliable and trouble-free of this trinity is mechanics. Especially in tandem with “aspirated”. She only had one flaw.
On pre-styling machines, the manual gearbox could work out the resource of the input shaft bearing for 1900 rubles in 30,000 km. But after the Fabia update, it was replaced with a reinforced one, solving the problem. You can predict his imminent demise by the hum when the engine is idling, which disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed. The second most reliable is automatic. By the time the Fabia was released, he had already been ill with all the “childhood diseases” and would not cause trouble to the owner if he changed the oil after 80,000 km or earlier, when jolts and thoughtfulness appeared, and also did not get carried away racing from traffic lights.
The Internet is full of stories why DSG “robots” on used cars are best avoided. Fabia is no exception. Such a box may have difficulties with sensors and the operation of control electronics. A clutch for 50,400 rubles runs about 50,000 km. If you really want a turbocharged Fabia, then pay attention to the cars produced since 2012. They have upgraded DSGs and there are fewer complaints about them. However, if you intend to buy a “charged” Fabia RS, then there will be nowhere to get away from the “robot” paired with the most powerful “turbo four”. With the mechanics of such machines, alas, you will not find.
The list of engines for Skoda Fabia 3 2019 is quite large, but only a few are delivered to us. For the novelty, the Czechs have provided gasoline and diesel engines. Starting the list of petrols is the 1.0-liter MPI 3-cylinder power plant, which develops only 60 horsepower. A more productive modification of the same “engine” already generates 75 “horses”.
Next comes the already turbocharged 1.2-liter TSI petrol version, which, depending on the boost level, delivers 90 horsepower (160 Nm) or 110 horsepower (175 Nm). The diesel engineers attributed the 3-cylinder 1.4-liter turbocharged TDI engine, which generates 75, 90 or 105 horsepower.
It’s a pity, but diesel-powered power units will not be supplied to our market. Instead, the company decided to install 4-cylinder naturally aspirated 1.6-liter 105-horsepower engines for the Russians. Consumption of gasoline versions does not exceed 5 liters. Diesel engines consume approximately 3.1 liters for every 100 kilometers. The motors received a start / stop system, and also meet the most stringent European environmental standards Euro-6.
The connecting link between the engine and the wheels are 5- or 6-speed manual gearboxes. They also provided a 7-band DSG robotic box for expensive versions. Models with 1.6-liter atmospheric “engines” work only with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
As a basis, the Czechs decided to use the PQ26 platform, which is a deep modernization of the previous generation hatchback. The wheels mounted in front have an independent suspension with McPherson struts, and the rear wheels received a semi-independent suspension based on a torsion beam.
The brake system of the generation has ventilated disc brakes at the front and standard drum-type brakes at the rear. The machine is easily controlled with the help of a rack and pinion steering mechanism, which received an electro-hydraulic amplifier.
Specialists of the company paid a lot of attention to the topic of security. The new Skoda Fabia 3 received such electronic security systems as ESC, ABS, EBV, MSR. As a separate option, you can install the technology of automatic braking in city traffic, a technology that controls driver fatigue.
In addition, six airbags can be installed in the car. Skoda Fabia 3 passed the Euro-NCAP crash test, which resulted in 5 stars, which is a good result. Therefore, this car can be safely advised for the purchase of family people.
Skoda Fabia 2 entered the Russian market in three trim levels:
- Fabia 1.2 l 70 hp This is the weakest engine of the entire line. It came with a five-speed manual transmission. Most likely, it was invented by the creators as an urban option and nothing else, because it will be hard with it on the track. The engine is three-cylinder and therefore high-vibration. Its problem is that it is of low resource and poorly maintainable. It’s not worth talking about the dynamics with the 1.2 engine at all. On a track with several adults in the cabin and the air conditioner turned on, it will be very difficult to overtake a truck.
- Fabia 1.4 l 85 hp This is the most popular engine. It is a four-cylinder and at certain speeds it can show good dynamics. And at the same time, it is also quite economical, which is also important when choosing a car. It also comes paired with a five-speed manual transmission.
- Fabia 1.6 l 105 hp This engine is considered the top of the range. It, like the previous ones, is equipped with a five-speed manual gearbox, and, unlike the previous ones, can be paired with a six-speed automatic gearbox. The engine in this configuration is reliable and durable. With proper maintenance and replacement of consumables according to the regulations and on time, it will serve for a very, very long time. These are the same engines that were installed on the VW Polo, and which still run and do not cause problems for their owners. It also shows good dynamics during overclocking and a fairly moderate appetite. Another plus is that there are simply a huge number of parts and spare parts for this engine, both original and not.
- Fabia 1.4L turbodiesel. Depending on the engine itself, it has a power of 60 hp if equipped with three cylinders, and 70 hp if equipped with four cylinders. These figures, of course, are not high, but given the presence of a turbine and the torque that diesel engines can produce at low speeds, then the dynamics of a car with such an engine will be very good.
- Fabia 1.9 l turbodiesel 101 hp An engine that will really surprise you with its dynamics, because it accelerates to a hundred in less than ten seconds. In this case, the maximum torque is already reached at 1800 rpm. And most importantly, the engine consumes less than 6 liters of diesel fuel per hundred kilometers. In economy mode, one tank can last for nine hundred kilometers. And at current gasoline prices, this is a pretty significant plus. True, diesel Fabias are not very common with us. Someone does not consider a diesel engine a good alternative to a gasoline engine, and someone is afraid to take it, knowing the quality of our diesel fuel and the high cost of repairing such an engine.
Regardless of the country of production, the galvanized metal of the Fabia body with a galvanized coating and high-quality paintwork resists corrosion well. And if the previous owner also tinted the chips that appeared on the paint in a timely manner, then you can not be afraid of the “red plague”. On machines that have been looked after to a lesser extent, chipped paintwork, as well as localized foci of corrosion, may well be found at the joints of the wings and bumpers, on the leading edge of the hood and around the windshield.
The appearance of corrosion on the trunk lid, at the bottom of the doors and under the moldings, on the thresholds and wheel arches is not excluded. Chrome on the decorative trim of the hood for 3000 rubles, alas, is not eternal and may begin to peel off over the years. In addition to corrosion and chrome that has lost its luster, Fabia can upset with cloudy plastic head optics for 7100 rubles per headlight. And also a worn windshield from 10,000 rubles, if it is native from the factory and has not changed due to chips or cracks from stones that have fallen into it.
On cars of the first years of production, knocks often appeared in the suspension, which emitted rear silent blocks on the front levers, each of which costs 8 euros. They could serve no more than 40,000 km. run. After 2008, these silent blocks were upgraded and their range increased to 100,000 km. run.
The bushings of the stabilizers do not serve for a particularly long time, after about 40,000 km. they already need to be changed, but the stabilizer struts last longer – 90,000 km each. Each rack is inexpensive – 15 euros. The front shock absorbers last the same, but cost 55 euros each.
But the most important suspension costs occur after 100,000 km. run. The rear shock absorbers need to be changed, each of them costs 60 euros. If a creak appears while turning the steering wheel, then this means that the front strut support bearings need to be replaced. It is also desirable to change the steering tips, each of which costs 17 euros. It will be necessary to change the hub, which comes complete with wheel bearings. And the ball bearings and silent blocks of the rear beam last the longest, they can last at least 180,000 km.
The steering can also act up, especially if the rack and pinion leaks, you will have to change the entire steering assembly, this will cost about 750 euros. The braking system does not create any particular difficulties, except that the rear drum mechanisms can tap. This problem can be fixed by cleaning and lubricating them.
In general, Fabia has minor troubles, but she doesn’t have any serious problems. Therefore, for those who want to get this car, it is best to choose the version after restyling with a 1.6-liter engine, no matter what gearbox. And the price of Fabia is very good, only Lada Kalina, Renault Clio and Peugeot 207 can be cheaper than Fabia. But Mazda 2, Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta are much more expensive. Even the Volkswagen Polo produced at the same Kaluga plant will also cost about 50 thousand rubles more.