Read about Chevrolet
Chevrolet. Best friend and symbol of America
The history of the birth of the brand and the mystery of the origin of the emblem. Competition with Ford and filming a movie. The most famous cars and modern models.
New IIHS side crash tests. The results are not encouraging
New IIHS side crash tests showed disappointing results. We share in detail, especially since there are tested models in Israel.
Chevrolet Orlando. Pure family car
It is sold on the Israeli secondary market, so it makes sense to take a closer look: we analyze the pros and cons of a family compact van.
The look is quite masculine. The grille is crowned with a large Chevrolet badge. Originally located foglights give the car a certain charm. The rear part fits very harmoniously into the overall look: two exhaust pipes, beautiful taillights – it turns out to be a very solid image.
The interior has a sense of carefully thought-out functionality. Nothing superfluous, but everything that is – to the place and looks great. In the decoration used only high-quality plastic. The dashboard indicators are easy to read, all control buttons are at hand, and the woodgrain and aluminum finishes (in the expensive version) look high quality and appropriate. Inside, up to seven passengers can comfortably accommodate. The basic version is designed for five people. The seats are adjustable in various planes. The steering wheel can also be adjusted in height and angle. It has an audio control panel, as well as, in some trim levels, also buttons for controlling the cruise control system.
Trunk volume is quite impressive, and if you fold the rear seats, the usable area doubles. The rear seat can also be folded in parts (in a ratio of 60/40). With all the passenger seats folded down, the volume of the cargo compartment will increase to 1565 liters. By the way, for the convenience of loading into Captiva, you can separately open the rear door glass. In the cabin for storing small luggage there is a roomy glove box, which is also cooled. In the pockets of the front doors, in addition to places for the map, there are round niches, for liter bottles of water, for example.
The basic package of the Chevrolet Captiva includes 6 airbags, an exchange rate dynamic stabilization system (ESP), alloy wheels 17, power accessories, air conditioning, CD / MP3 with the ability to control the radio on the steering wheel. There are versions of the Captiva with cruise control, fog lights, heated seats, trip computer, leather upholstery and 18-inch alloy wheels.
Initially for Russia, the Chevrolet Captiva was sold with two petrol engine options: a 2.4-liter four-cylinder DOHC (136 hp, 220 Nm / 2200 rpm) and a 3.2-liter Alloytec V6 (230 hp, 297 Nm / 3200 rpm). After modernization since 2011, the place of the 3.2-liter engine was taken by a new 3-liter power unit with a capacity of 258 hp. (since 2013 – 249 hp). The power of the 2.4-liter engine, which was equipped with a variable valve timing system, increased to 167 “horses”, and the torque was raised from 220 Nm to 230 Nm, although it moved into the zone of higher speeds. A 2.2 liter diesel engine with 184 hp also appeared. and a maximum torque of 400 Nm, which can please the owner with low fuel consumption (6.6 liters per 100 km).
- The transmission of front-wheel drive versions is not too troublesome mechanically.
- For all-wheel drive vehicles, the BorgWarner electromagnetic clutch for connecting the rear axle can fail due to water ingress, overheating and dirty oil.
- Front and rear wheel bearings may not last even 100,000 km. The original ones also do not last long and cost 15-18 thousand rubles (assembly), analogues are much cheaper – from 5000 rubles.
- The rear gearbox is weak except for oil seals. But after 100-150 thousand km, the wear of the silent blocks of its fastening in the subframe beam reduces the life of the cardan shaft. The crosses and the outboard bearing (both of which change separately) often become unusable with a run of 120-160 thousand km.
- For pre-styling cars, the clock on the panel may go out or go off. New ones cost 5,000 rubles, but usually they can be repaired – the services of a master electronics engineer will cost much less.
- Do not rush to change the windshield wiper drive if the wipers stop in the middle of the wiper stroke – the failure of the limit switch is to blame.
- Noisy after 60–80 thousand km, the electric motor of the heater fan cannot be saved with grease. A new one will cost 6,500 rubles, but you can also find an analogue for 4,000 rubles.
- Closer to 100 thousand km, the damper actuators in the climate system can begin to wedge – up to the failure of the burned-out motor.
- After six or seven years, problems with contacts can bring down the electrical system, and the loss of “mass” under the hood, in the generator terminals and oxidation in the engine ECU connectors are especially unpleasant.
- A common cause of an airbag alarm is simply a repairable loose connection in the wiring under the seats or behind the door sills.
- Problems with the activation of the rear axle coupling also lie in the wiring laid along the bottom of the car.
- But errors in the operation of the ABS occur due to the fault of not only the engine compartment wiring, but also the control unit itself – the contacts on the board are destroyed. You should not rush to buy a new module for 60,000 rubles: the board is restored by soldering.
How reliable is the engine?
As for powertrains, the 2.4-liter gasoline engine, which was installed on pre-styling versions of the crossover, can be considered an ideal choice for a used Captiva. And let its 136 horsepower be enough only for a measured ride, but thanks to a simple and time-tested design, this power unit boasts enviable reliability. In favor of the 2.4-liter engine is the fact that it is very familiar to most mechanics. There will be no problems with its maintenance and repair.
The engine of the same volume, which began to be installed on the Chevrolet Captiva after restyling, also proved itself well. But due to the fact that its design turned out to be much more modern and more complicated, there are still more problems with it. One of them is a gas distribution mechanism, the resource of which can vary over a very wide range. Typically, the chain can withstand about 120 thousand kilometers, however, some owners of Captiva have already had the opportunity to replace the timing chain after a run of 40-50 thousand kilometers. So if you hear extraneous ringing sounds, then it is better to immediately invest in replacing the entire set of gas distribution mechanism.
Relatively rarely on used Chevrolet Captiva there are gasoline “sixes” with a volume of 3.2 and 3.6 liters. In general, each of these power units is very reliable, however, even in them the chain drive of the gas distribution mechanism will have to be changed at least once every 150 thousand kilometers. In addition, Captiva six-cylinder engines are prone to overheating, so immediately after buying a car, it is worth cleaning the cooling radiators and making sure the fans are working. If the engine still overheats, then first you will have to deal with increased consumption of engine oil, and in the future with a complete engine overhaul. Problems with overheating and increased oil appetite are also typical for a 3-liter engine, which appeared on the Chevrolet Captiva much later and has not yet had time to fully show its weaknesses.
In Europe, diesel Captiva with engines of 2 and 2.2 liters were also sold. But since crossovers with these power units were not officially delivered to our country, it is extremely difficult to find them on the used car market. And it is unlikely that the purchase of a diesel Captiva can be considered appropriate. Delicate fuel injectors with our low-quality diesel fuel will not please you with a long resource.
Chevrolet Captiva – car overview
Chevrolet Captiva / Chevrolet Captiva
Chevrolet Captiva is a mid-size crossover produced by the South Korean division of GM. The updated model Chevrolet Captiva was released in 2011. The car received a durable steel frame and programmed deformation zones that absorb the force of impact during an accident. ABS, EBD, ESC, ESP systems are also responsible for safety in the car. In addition to significant changes in the exterior design, the new Chevrolet Captiva also received updates in the interior. Sophisticated ergonomics, wide functionality, high-quality interior trim materials are the main advantages of the updated Chevrolet Captiva. The crossover also boasts a large luggage compartment, the volume of which is 477 liters (in the variant with a 5-seater saloon). In 2013, GM presented customers with another restyling of the crossover. The novelty has acquired minor changes in the design of the body and interior. Now the list of basic equipment (LT package) includes such irreplaceable options as 2-zone climate control and heated rear seats. In the Russian market, the updated Chevrolet Captiva is presented in several modifications. The most powerful is the version with a new, V-shaped, 6-cylinder engine with a volume of 3.0 liters. There is also an economical option, equipped with a 2.2 liter diesel engine. Chevrolet Captiva is a fairly popular model in the CIS market and has established itself as a comfortable, reliable and unpretentious crossover in maintenance.