The appearance of a crossover under the name Captiva in the Chevrolet lineup was due to the initiative of the South Korean division of General Motors, which previously produced cars under the Daewoo brand. In 2004, designers and designers developed the Chevrolet S3X concept car on the Theta platform (wheelbase 2707 mm), which became common to several models (Opel Antara).
It was shown at the Paris Motor Show and aroused some interest among automotive experts. But two more years passed before the serial production of the model, during which the future Captiva was improved.
Finally, in the second half of 2006, the assembly line production of a car began, which in the Asian market bore the name Daewoo Winstorm, and in the Australian market – Holden Captiva. These versions differed in exterior design, in particular, in the design of a false radiator grille, on which various badges flaunted.
- The transmission of front-wheel drive versions is not too troublesome mechanically.
- For all-wheel drive vehicles, the BorgWarner electromagnetic clutch for connecting the rear axle can fail due to water ingress, overheating and dirty oil.
- Front and rear wheel bearings may not last even 100,000 km. The original ones also do not last long and cost 15-18 thousand rubles (assembly), analogues are much cheaper – from 5000 rubles.
- The rear gearbox is weak except for oil seals. But after 100-150 thousand km, the wear of the silent blocks of its fastening in the subframe beam reduces the life of the cardan shaft. The crosses and the outboard bearing (both of which change separately) often become unusable with a run of 120-160 thousand km.
- For pre-styling cars, the clock on the panel may go out or go off. New ones cost 5,000 rubles, but usually they can be repaired – the services of a master electronics engineer will cost much less.
- Do not rush to change the windshield wiper drive if the wipers stop in the middle of the wiper stroke – the failure of the limit switch is to blame.
- Noisy after 60–80 thousand km, the electric motor of the heater fan cannot be saved with grease. A new one will cost 6,500 rubles, but you can also find an analogue for 4,000 rubles.
- Closer to 100 thousand km, the damper actuators in the climate system can begin to wedge – up to the failure of the burned-out motor.
- After six or seven years, problems with contacts can bring down the electrical system, and the loss of “mass” under the hood, in the generator terminals and oxidation in the engine ECU connectors are especially unpleasant.
- A common cause of an airbag alarm is simply a repairable loose connection in the wiring under the seats or behind the door sills.
- Problems with the activation of the rear axle coupling also lie in the wiring laid along the bottom of the car.
- But errors in the operation of the ABS occur due to the fault of not only the engine compartment wiring, but also the control unit itself – the contacts on the board are destroyed. You should not rush to buy a new module for 60,000 rubles: the board is restored by soldering.
Specifications Captiva look quite interesting. The company offers the installation of engines running on gasoline and diesel fuel. Basic versions are equipped with a 4-cylinder naturally aspirated 2.4-liter power plant. It has distributed injection technology and variable valve timing. This allows you to produce about 167 “horses” (230 Nm).
Next comes the more powerful 3.0-liter petrol unit, which received a 6-cylinder V-twin engine and direct fuel injection technology. Such an aluminum motor generates 258 horsepower (288 Nm). However, specifically for the Russian market, its power was reduced to 249 horsepower.
For those who prefer diesel versions, the company offers to equip the Chevrolet Captiva crossover with a 2.2-liter engine. For it, a mechanism for changing the valve timing is provided, as well as a turbine with variable impeller geometry. As a result, the “engine” develops 184 horsepower (400 Nm).
Such motors allow you to accelerate from standstill to a speed mark of 100 km / h in 9-11.1 seconds, and the speed limit is 175-198 kilometers per hour. The final result depends entirely on the chosen modification. Chevrolet Captiva fuel consumption is 9.3-10.7 liters for the gasoline version and 6.4-7.9 for the diesel engine. It is logical that the diesel engine is distinguished by more economical fuel consumption.
For four-cylinder engines, the American company installed a mechanical 6-speed or automatic 6-speed gearbox. As for the V-shaped 6-cylinder engine, it is synchronized only with the Chevrolet Captiva automatic transmission. Four-wheel drive is available for all modifications. The rear wheels are connected using an electronically controlled clutch. By default, all 100 percent of the torque is transferred to the front wheels, but if necessary, the clutch can transfer up to 50 percent to the rear wheels.
They released an updated Chevrolet Captiva 2014 on the “trolley” GM Theta. She received the usual McPherson struts in the front and a multi-link suspension in the rear. In addition, the specialists have provided an improved Soft Ride suspension, which can automatically maintain a constant clearance. Facilitates the steering of the car rack and pinion steering, which is assisted by a hydraulic booster. Brake system Chevrolet Captiva got ventilated disc mechanisms on all wheels, as well as 4-channel ABS.
Chevrolet Captiva Safety
A lot of attention was paid to the security of Captiva 2014. In America, this is always monitored very closely. And since the car can be positioned as a family car, it should be a priori comfortable and safe. Korean engineers have tried to equip the body frame with special programmed deformation zones. This allows you to more effectively absorb the main impact energy in a traffic accident. In addition, already the initial configurations of the Chevrolet Captiva are equipped not only with frontal, but also with side airbags.
The salon also stands out with three-point seat belts (there are pretensioners). Don’t forget about child seat mounts. Richer versions received side curtain airbags for those sitting in the back. The crossover got electronic assistants, which include ABS, EBD, BAS, ESC, TCS, HDC and ESP. If the pre-styling car received 4 stars according to the results of the Euro-NCAP crash test, then the new model honestly earned 5 stars. For this, we can separately praise the engineering staff, who analyzed all the shortcomings and eliminated them.
The 2016 Chevrolet Captiva car, whose test drive video has been watched more than once by fans of the brand, has every chance of being in demand among Russian drivers. The machine is equipped with the latest technology. So, a 2.4-liter gasoline engine was developed as the second generation of the Ecotec family of engines. It has the following characteristics:
- power 167 l. With.;
- peak torque of 230 N•m at around 4,600 rpm.
Initially, the engine complemented the Chevrolet Equinox model, but later it was also installed in Buick Regal and LaCrosse cars.
Joint efforts in the development of a turbodiesel power unit were made by specialists from the GM concern together with professionals from the Italian company VM Motori. This motor is characterized by the following operating parameters:
- power 184 l. With.;
- maximum torque 400 N•m at 2000 rpm.
When developing a complete set of a three-liter top-end version, it was decided to arrange the atmospheric V-shaped six transversely. In this version, the engine is all-aluminum, and 89 horsepower is “removed” from one liter of its working volume. As a result, the following engine performance indicators were obtained:
- power 249 l. With.;
- maximum torque 288 N•m at 5800 rpm.
In technical terms, the suspension settings have also changed. In particular, hard springs and soft shock absorbers are installed in the Chevrolet Captiva, and an innovative system for automatically maintaining ride height is mounted on the rear axle of the crossover.
A test drive of the Chevrolet Captiva shows that during the restyling, the crossover acquired not only a new appearance, but a new disposition. The car has become torquey, stable and reliable. It will perfectly cope both with the conquest of difficult tracks, and with maneuvering through city streets with heavy traffic. Drivers are available versions in various trim levels, differing in powertrains and transmission types. The cost of a car directly depends on its power and performance, so consumers have the right to choose a package based on their budget and requirements for the car.